4 interviews; 3 companies; 2 weeks; 1 offer; zero job. That’s the summary of what’s happened to me in the last couple of weeks, and that is why I’ve been away from the Twitter (and missed one blog post) during that time.
The offer came from company #1, one day after my interview. I was glad to get it, but I felt the other two companies were better for my career path. That is why I still went to the interview with company #2, two days after the interview with company #1. Not wanting to jeopardize the offer, I held out as long as I could, until the agency who sent me to company #1 told me that I had to make my choice. This was last Monday, the day I also had an interview with company #3. I got early feedback that I had a good interview. I had a good chance on companies #2 and #3, so I took a calculated risk and declined the offer made by company #1. Last Wednesday, I got called for a second interview with company #3, but got bad news from company #2.
This meant everything was riding on this second interview, which took place on Thursday. I came in and was relaxed, and despite its short length, felt confident about my chances. I wasn’t sure if a decision would be made on Friday, but none came by the time I had to attend a wedding ceremony in the mid-afternoon. I was going to accept waiting through the long weekend, but my phone buzzed during the ceremony. I checked my voicemail afterward, and it was not good news. Company #3 did like me, but in the end went with someone with more experience.
Did all that sound confusing? Here’s a graphical timeline:
It was obviously not the best news to start a long weekend, or to head into a wedding reception. I didn’t want that to dictate my mood for the weekend, so I cleared it from my mind, and left to worry about it until Tuesday.
It’s Tuesday now, and I’m back where I started two weeks ago. This cannot, must not, bring me down. The multiple interviews have made me more relaxed and confident in my abilities, and I simply need more opportunities, sooner rather than later, in order to score an offer (and keep it).